| 174.4 mi² / 451.8 km²|
174.1 mi² / 450.8 km²
0.3 mi² / 1.0 km²
–Total (as of 2000)
| Time zone|
DST time zone
| Central (or CST) (UTC-6)|
|Official website: http://www.ci.huntsville.al.us/index.html|
Huntsville, Alabama, U.S.A. has grown tremendously in the past 50 years. Nicknamed Rocket City or The Space Capital, much of the work for the NASA space program was done in Huntsville. It is the largest city in northern Alabama—the population of the city proper is about 150 thousand, but including the metropolitan area it's almost 400 thousand. The city has grown from it's original location, in the center of Madison County, where it is the county seat (capital of the county) to include bits in neighboring Limestone county.
Huntsville originally grew with the Army's missile program in World War II and subsequent space and missile programs. When those programs cut back in the 1970s, the strong high-tech background of the engineers and others who had been involved attracted other research companies, and some of those who lost work formed start-ups which remain in the area. As a result, the general level of education is unusually high.
Articles about Huntsville:
- Huntsville:Media (newspapers, radio stations, etc.)
- Huntsville:Space program
- Huntsville:Von Braun Civic Center
- Yahoo! has a game named Huntsville where you solve the crime.
- November 18, Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know? a National Public Radio (NPR, U.S.) show was broadcast from Huntsville.  Podcast link will be added when it becomes available.
- Huntsville's original name was Twickenham. The name is still used sometimes, like when referring to the historic district.
Other places named Huntsville
- Huntsville, OH, U.S.A. - http://huntsvilleohio.com/
- Huntsville, TX, U.S.A. - http://ci.huntsville.tx.us/
- Huntsville, ON, Canada - http://www.huntsville.ca/
- Huntsville, TN, USA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsville,_Tennessee
- Huntsville, UT, USA - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsville,_Utah